COVID-19 UPDATE: Our web shop currently remains open to customers. We are constantly reviewing this in light of government advice and in discussion with our fulfilment partners. However, delays in local delivery may occur which are outside of our control - we apologise in advance for this.

SA04017 Bristol Blenheim MkIV

Sorry about this Heather .....

My research into T2112 indicates it was destroyed on 20.10.1940 by hitting a mosque. There is a disagreement about this happening on take-off or landing. I have yet to determine the individual code letter.

Paws4thot

1578 posts

@Dominic Thomas

My research into T2112 indicates it was destroyed on 20.10.1940 by hitting a mosque. There is a disagreement about this happening on take-off or landing. I have yet to determine the individual code letter.

Where was it based when this happened?

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

T2B

1703 posts

@ Paws

As per my previous post initial indications are that 203 Sqn served in the Middle East between 1940 and 1942, and if Dominic has info that the aircraft T2112 crashed into a mosque then that would also indicate the Middle East / North African theatre? 

Dad Paul B

476 posts

This is coming together very nicely Heather. I really ought to do a Blenheim and Beaufighter (and maybe a Bulldog but I have a love-hate relationship with Biplanes) as I worked at Filton 30 years ago on the design software for Airbuses and 146s.

Looking forward to seeing the final results.

Paul - Classic Jet Fan

Heather Kay

313 posts

The fnished job may be a while yet. I've got a lot of paying work to get out of the way, although I'd much rather be playing with aeroplanes right now.

I need to seek out a suitable squadron for the plane, and then work out if I have enough transfers around to make it. I've found several "sets" of transfers for various Blenheims, but it usually entails a sheet that will end up never being used because they are later than my 1940 period. I do dislike spending money to waste it like that.

A professional modeller of railway subjects, and a reborn Airfix fan. Definitely into combat aircraft in service on all sides in the summer of 1940, but known to occasionally veer off into other interesting things!

In response to P4t and T2B while Heather continues work, my sources place the mosque at Kamaran while the squadron would appear to be based at Khormaksar, Aden for Red Sea patrols amongst other things.

Hope this helps and apologies for the tardy reply.

Paws4thot

1578 posts

@Dominic Thomas

In response to P4t and T2B while Heather continues work, my sources place the mosque at Kamaran while the squadron would appear to be based at Khormaksar, Aden for Red Sea patrols amongst other things.

Hope this helps and apologies for the tardy reply.

Thanks for that; the very mention of "mosque" suggested "not in the UK", at which point the exact dates of the transfer become relevant as to whether this machine was ever in the Battle of Britain rather than just of the period.

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

@Dominic Thomas

The fact of the matter is that they lost an engine during take off and crashed whilst attempting to land back at the airfield.  My uncle was the Observer (navigator); he died the following day of injuries sustained.  203 Sqn were based at Khomaksar (Aden) and the accident happened on Kamaran Island in the Red Sea.  I am attempting to build a model of all types associated with my uncle; hence why I would like to know the individual code letter.

Peter s

453 posts

For what it's worth I built exactly the same kit as yours as a bomber too! (and a very nice build it was too) Not hard to work out how the bomb bay works even without instructions. It strikes me as utterly crazy to give the modeller all the parts for fighter and bomber versions but not provide decals and instructions for both. Apart from the nose glass you've got all the parts for the Mk1 bomber AND fighter in that box too. Why Airfix doesn't include the glass too and let you build mk 1 or 4 rather than release the same kit 4 times beats me.......... 

As a final comment to KB666, I have exhausted my sources, with no joy on the code. Although I did find a fairly comprehensive write-up on the crash on the Aircrew Remembered website. 

If the code does come to light, I would be keen to know the source. Best of luck ....

Apologies to Heather for hijacking the post.

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product