COVID-19 UPDATE: Our web shop currently remains open to customers. We are constantly reviewing this in light of government advice and in discussion with our fulfilment partners. However, delays in local delivery may occur which are outside of our control - we apologise in advance for this.

SA04017 Bristol Blenheim MkIV

Heather Kay

313 posts

Yes, that photo was definitely an inspiration for me. The original is available from the Imperial War Museum web site.

I think the version you've posted has been colourised from the black and white original. Whoever did it looks like they coloured the collector ring Based on false information. Wink

A professional modeller of railway subjects, and a reborn Airfix fan. Definitely into combat aircraft in service on all sides in the summer of 1940, but known to occasionally veer off into other interesting things!

Paws4thot

1578 posts

Well, it depends on the reference sources, but I've seen bronze as a colour call-out for collector rings before.

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

Heather Kay

313 posts

@Paws4thot

Well, it depends on the reference sources, but I've seen bronze as a colour call-out for collector rings before.

It used to be the go-to colour in most kits back in the day. The Airfix call out is now Humbrol 53, which I think is gunmetal, which seems much more appropriate.

A professional modeller of railway subjects, and a reborn Airfix fan. Definitely into combat aircraft in service on all sides in the summer of 1940, but known to occasionally veer off into other interesting things!

ironsides

212 posts

Nicely Done!Smile

"The Battle of France is over. The Battle of Britain is about to begin." Tally Ho

T2B

1707 posts

Yes another lovely rendition of the Blenheim Heather and I do like your display pictures of your finished models, far better than my efforts. 

But in relation to the collector ring colours I was given to understand the collector rings were stainless steel so the Gun Metal 53 colour given by Airfix's colour call-out may be  near correct when new, but heat tainted the rings a bronze tone which is the colour Airfix stated in most of their older tool kits with similar collector rings? 

Paws4thot

1578 posts

Well, yes, collector rings can heat stain; there's also some suggestion that some of them may have been painted ex-factory, and the metal colour is only revealed when the paint chips and/or peals and/or burns off.

As to "what colour does stainless steel start as?" and "what does it discolour to?" that's opening another can of worms because it will depend on the grade of stainless used!

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

Peter s

453 posts

I found this link

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/70160-bristol-beaufighter-collector-rings/

which has a couple of pics of the last flying Blenheim. It's a stainless steel ring but engine heat has turned it a copperish colour. A K interactive do metallic waxes. Their copper lightly applied over gloss black worked for me on a Beaufighter.

dogsbody

65 posts

@Peter s

I found this link

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/70160-bristol-beaufighter-collector-rings/

which has a couple of pics of the last flying Blenheim. It's a stainless steel ring but engine heat has turned it a copperish colour. A K interactive do metallic waxes. Their copper lightly applied over gloss black worked for me on a Beaufighter.

Excellent posting! That Blenhein picture really does it. The old usage of bright Bronze/Copper needs to be put down. This diagram points out how the collector heat stained.

"What young man could possibly be bored with a uniform to wear, a fast aeroplane to fly, and something to shoot at?"

Peter s

453 posts

Thanks! "If in doubt find a photo of the real thing".

Heather Kay

313 posts

Thanks for the comments, and for the collector ring colour debate. All useful stuff. =o)

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

This site uses cookies to provide users with the best experience possible, to find out more about them or how to remove cookies from your browser please view our Privacy Policy Or accept cookies to continue to use the website.
Membership Restricted Product