COVID-19 UPDATE: Our web shop currently remains open to customers. We are constantly reviewing this in light of government advice and in discussion with our fulfilment partners. However, delays in local delivery may occur which are outside of our control - we apologise in advance for this.

SA04017 Bristol Blenheim MkIV

Tweezers

220 posts

@Dominic Thomas

Well done. A good model and a very nice scene with some interesting history to back it up. I particularly liked the change in impact from the semi-gloss to the matt finish.

Given the mix up in squadrons at the early stage, I wonder if you based the final diorama on a real 40 Squadron picture. I followed your link for the black & white 110 Squadron picture, and eventually found a colour version. It was particularly interesting to see the collector ring bronze.

In my copy of "RAF Wattisham- A Pictorial Hisstory" it states:

"All unit insignia  and other obvious  identification markings had been removed from front-line aircraft by the outbeak of war and replaced by a two-letter code donating the squadron  and  the individual aircraft"

So what is the individual letter fo R3600?

All my reference books and a search of the internet give no information on the aircraft code letter. We do know that R3600 was lost attacking a convoy on 6th May 1941, and we know the crew and their fate on that sortie.

Heather, further to your model in the markings of 40 Squadron, I wondered if you had a copy of the DP Casper sheet giving markings for aircraft participating in Operation Dynamo [Dunkirk]? I ask because it includes markings for a 40 Squadron Blenheim IV amongst other 1940 aircraft.

Heather Kay

313 posts

Hello Dominic.

I don't have that sheet. I find I tend to make up markings from generic sets if the kit doesn't cover what I want. In a way, I suppose, that sometimes makes the finished model slightly less "authentic", but it suits me,

I have, in the past, bought in special sheets, but I then find most of the sheet never gets used once I've trimmed out what I want. I do look out for suitable sets that cover various types where I can. An example of this is a specific Battle of Britain set from Xtradecal which covered many of the Fighter Command planes.

A professional modeller of railway subjects, and a reborn Airfix fan. Definitely into combat aircraft in service on all sides in the summer of 1940, but known to occasionally veer off into other interesting things!

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

This site uses cookies to provide users with the best experience possible, to find out more about them or how to remove cookies from your browser please view our Privacy Policy Or accept cookies to continue to use the website.
Membership Restricted Product