SVosper MTB 1/72 (05280)

paul-muc

168 posts

This was an old kit and I hadn't expected that I would like it so much. With each step it became more interesting and there is much life on deck.  
There were two problems: I managed to glue the arms that support the twin cannon and shield upside down, so now both stand to low on their platform.  
The decals fell into pieces when I put them into water. The kit was a Humbrol product. So I took some of the spares box, not the right number but three digits. These were from a Hasegawa kit and I had used the alternative decals for an aircraft. They were fine, as if painted. But now they silvered and when treated with Decal Soft (Revell), they wrinkled. And I guess it was wrong to seal them finally with matt varnish. The colour HU 27 for hull and deck is very dark. I remember it as slightly darker than medium grey.
Anyway, this is a fine kit, highly recommended. 

John Symmons

815 posts

Hi Paul.

Nice looking build of the Vosper. This kit is from the same series as the "E" Boat I recently built, & considering the vintage of the kit I was like you pleasently surprised. ( See my post on the E-Boat further down on this forum.) After seeing your build I think I'll have to look for this on to go with the RAF launch that's waiting in my stash short lost. I see you have"t included any crew figures, I hope it does come with crew like the "E" boat and RAF launch. One thing you might try is to scan in the decals that way you can always make spares in case te others become useless. The first thing I do with any new kit is scan in the decals, just in case.

Remember we do this for fun                       John the Pom

T2B

652 posts

@ paul-muc

You have made a very good job of the old MTB. And as you say for such an old tool kit it is well detailed and goes together well, but still needs a decent skill level as its not for the beginner. The E-Boat and RAF Resue Launch from the same era are also good kits. 

T2B

652 posts

@ JS

yes the Vosper kit does come with fairly decent crew figures. If memory serves me it's 5 decent moulds in RN Duffle coats. And I also have this kit in the later Humbrol issue in my stash with the E-Boat. When I saw yours it made me think about getting them out to build alone side my completed RAF Resue launch but I'm concentrating on my WW2 aircraft at the moment!

This was completed about 12 years ago but think with my slightly improved skills and new methods now, I could probably do better. Maybe when I get round to doing the MTB and E-Boat I'll redo it? I think the Oelikin gunner on the stern plates was borrowed from a much earlier scrapped MTB kit.

paul-muc

168 posts

Thanks for your kind comments. The kit has indeed 5 figures, among them the commander with binoculars and the gunner. I had built the German torpedo boat S 10, when I was young and the kit had still the flag with the swastika on the stern. It must have been in the seventies. Because the quality at that time was extraordinary (and still is) I wanted the Vosper too. The RAF Rescue Launch was not so interesting because it had not so much details, though I must say the presented model is well done and would match the other ones very well.

Paws4thot

890 posts

@John Symmons

Hi Paul.

Nice looking build of the Vosper. This kit is from the same series as the "E" Boat I recently built, & considering the vintage of the kit I was like you pleasently surprised. ( See my post on the E-Boat further down on this forum.) After seeing your build I think I'll have to look for this on to go with the RAF launch that's waiting in my stash short lost. I see you have"t included any crew figures, I hope it does come with crew like the "E" boat and RAF launch. One thing you might try is to scan in the decals that way you can always make spares in case te others become useless. The first thing I do with any new kit is scan in the decals, just in case.

Remember we do this for fun                       John the Pom

Memory says the Vosper (3rd series) has at least the captain (look, it's a vessel and an independant command therefore he's the captain), helmsman and Oerlikon gunner from the box art, and I think another 2 figures.

Build the "Whaleback" early so it only has the 2 turret guns and you can rob its spare deck crew (gunners) for the Vosper.

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

John Symmons

815 posts

Seeing as we have the Vosper and the RAF Rescue Launch photos in the posting I'll add a couple from the 'E' Boat post then all thre are in the one post.

Remember we do this for fun                      John the Pom

dabhand

92 posts

I remember when this kit was released.  Despite my friends and me being principally aircraft builders, the Vosper was a 'must have' kit as it's completion [and I don't mean to competition standards either!] was the mark of a good modeller!  Almost all of us got one.  Same for the RAF Rescue Launch.  The E-Boat was just a little too expensive.....

Ah, such days.....

Paws4thot

890 posts

@dabhand - I had the same problem with the E-boat back in the day. Frown Although I didn't divide models into "aircraft" and "targets".

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

John Symmons

815 posts

Hi Dabhand & P4T.

Maybe now we're all that bit older and persumably more affulent you shoud both keep an eye open fo the "E" boat as having all three would sure make a stunning display. I have the RAF launch and now looking locally for the Vosper.

If building the "E" boat just be prepared to do some heavy filling on the hull bow join and hull & deck join at the torpedo tube cut-outs, (See my earlier posting on building the "E" boat.), but other than that one small surmountable problem it's really a stunning kit.

Remember we do this for fun                                       John the Pom

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product