Wishlist 2017 and beyond

Leigh Terry

1/72: Westland Wasp, Fairey Albercore, Fairey Barracuda, Aew Skyraider, Phantom FGR1/2, Retooled Vulcan, B-45 Tornado,any british WW2 Sub, Falklands landing craft,Avro Lincoln 

1/350 HMS Tiger/ Blake helecopter Cruiser, County class destroyer,Type 21 frigate, Leander class frigate/ all conversions.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see Airfix expand on their 1/48 scale range to include some late WW2 Luftwaffe stuff, like a Focke Wulf 190d or Messerschmitt 262 .Also,with the popularity of the 1/72 Nakajima Kate, perhaps a 1/48 version .    Cheers, Stuart. 

1:24 scale car kits please.... Preferably starting with some British classic car subjects which haven't already been made by other kit makers. There are plenty of potential subjects, listed elsewhere on this site; a decent Austin Healey, the MGB GT, MG RV8, LE Mans MGA, Morris Minor Traveller, Jaguar D Type....

how about some US ww1 stuff since itl be 100 years since they entered the war 

I think the problem here would be what exactly, as most of the weapons were supplied by the the British and French... and much of this is now available and has been for some time from a number of other manufacturers... the only gap I can see would be a US crewed MKV British tank but this would look little different to British crewed MKVs... Aircraft are well covered as well.... now if we were talking about Plan 1919 the sky could well be the limit...

Personally I think the Biggest Gap is the French Army no soft skins to speak of, No Heavy and Medium Tanks in 1/72...

Some interesting topics - with the Valiant done and a Victor imminent it must be only a matter of time before the Vulcan gets a much needed retooling. Also a British Phantom is much needed as I don't think there are any out there. Also a new Buccaneer, Sea Hawk, Sea Vixen (1/72), Scimitar, Hunter, Vampire FB5 and Venom to go with the other classic British Jets. And lots of people would like a Wasp.

Some interesting ship ideas - I have a sneaking suspicion that the Landing Craft used in 1982 (from HMS' Fearless and Intrepid - (the old 1/600 kit was niceand I would quite like to build it again) were in fact WW2 vintage so the current model may be suitable. Blake/Tiger would be an interesting model - a WW2 Cruiser with the back end replaced by a landing platform and hangar. Could you really do the new carriers in 1/350? - they are over 3 times the displacement of the Invincible Class Cruisers.

Some interesting topics - with the Valiant done and a Victor imminent it must be only a matter of time before the Vulcan gets a much needed retooling. Also a British Phantom is much needed as I don't think there are any out there. Also a new Buccaneer, Sea Hawk, Sea Vixen (1/72), Scimitar, Hunter, Vampire FB5 and Venom to go with the other classic British Jets. And lots of people would like a Wasp.

Some interesting ship ideas - I have a sneaking suspicion that the Landing Craft used in 1982 (from HMS' Fearless and Intrepid - (the old 1/600 kit was niceand I would quite like to build it again) were in fact WW2 vintage so the current model may be suitable. Blake/Tiger would be an interesting model - a WW2 Cruiser with the back end replaced by a landing platform and hangar. Could you really do the new carriers in 1/350? - they are over 3 times the displacement of the Invincible Class Cruisers.

Great ideas for the Jets Dad Paul B!

As for tooling the new carriers in 1/350? Aboslutely it can be done! (And should be! 😆) We already have Enterprise and Nimitz class in 1/350 (bigger than the new RN carriers by about 40thousand tonnes) and then consider all the ship models coming out in 1/200 scale, EG New Jersey/Iowa, Rodney, Bismarck. There is no limitation in regards to molding technology and this scale.

As for the market buying it-well, my fleet is 1/350-if they release the HMS QE or POW in 1/350 I'll buy it, as I'm sure many others would. If it's any other scale-then I won't.

There are a lot of good ideas for future releases here. How about a poll to decide which are the most popular ideas for new kits? I'm sure a British Phantom would be near the top of the list!  A new kitstarter project from Airfix with new projects rather than re-issues may be an idea, although given the lukewarm response to the present kitstarters it may take a lot to convince Airfix to go with this. I think the present kitstarter is still in need of a lot more support.

I would put my money into 1/144, 1/72 scale RAF transports eg; andover, twin pioneer,dove,viking,varsity,hastings,argossy, auster, etc,etc?

I do like this idea for the larger aircraft in the RAF Inventory.  I often think of a nice collection in this scale.  Plenty of scope with the famous V-Bomber trio plus Nimrod, Voyager, Air Seeker ( Rivet Joint.) Sentinel, a really good E-3A Sentry.  A decent Hercules followed by the new Atlas would be good, and a new Posiedon MR1.  For a decent collection of these aircraft, 1/144th is a really good sacle.

I am very interested to Airfix continue with its rennaisance and came up with some predictions based on current madels, releases and the strategy of replacing our lovely old 2 Bob kits.  I came up with this list for 2017.  Here it is, just for fun.  The plan would be to add a couple of extra parts and new decals to some of the new releases.  Some new tools, too.  This would allow the existing new tools to produce new versions of these aircraft.  Sometimes just new decals would do.

1/72 AVRO Vulcan B2    New Tool 3 Decal Choices

1/72 DH Mosquito BIV    New Tool 3 Versions

1/72 SE5a   New Tool

1/72 Fokker DVII   New Tool

1/72 Supermarine Spitfire IXe    Completely New Tool

1/72 Bomber Support Figures New Tool To go with Vehicles

1/72 AC-47 / EC-47                 New Parts Spooky / Puff the Magic Dragon.

1/72 AVRO Shackleton AEW2       New Parts 3 Featured Aircraft

1/72 Hawker Hurricane I      New Parts for Metal Wing version.

1/72 Supermarine Spitfire IIa        New Decals Spitfire I Kit.

1/72 Bristol Beaufighter NF1      New Decals Gibson / Cunningham

1/48 DH Vampire T11     New Tool

1/48 Supermarine Swift FR5    New Tool

1/48 HP Provost T3    New Tool

1/48 Austin 'Tilly.'    New Tool

1/48 Hawker Hurricane I       New Parts Fabric wing. 3 Versions.

1/48 Hawker Sea Hurricane       New Decals

1/48 B P Defiant NF1        New Decals

1/72 H P Halifax BIII     New Tool Replacement for old tooling.

1/72 Hawker Hunter F6      New Tool Replacement for old tooling.

1/72 Short Stirling BI/BII         New Tool Replacement for old tooling.

1/72 Gloster Javelin FR9/9R       New Tool

1/72 DH88 Comet Racer          New Tool 3 Versions

1/72 H P Victor B2            New Parts Tanker version. 2 Colour Schemes

1/72 Douglas DC-3                 New Decals BEA / Sabena / New seats

1/48 Hawker Hunter F6             New Tool Long overdue. Some lovely schemes.

1/48 RAF Ground Crew             New Tool 1950-1960 to suit Javelin / Hunter

1/48 Bedford OYD                     New Tool Additional to RAF Set.

1/48 Austin ATV                         New Tool Additional to RAF Set.

1/48 Land Rover ( RAF )           New Tool 1950-1960 to suit Javelin / Hunter

1/48 Gloster Gladiator I/II          New Tool

I would put my money into 1/144, 1/72 scale RAF transports eg; andover, twin pioneer,dove,viking,varsity,hastings,argossy, auster, etc,etc?

I do like this idea for the larger aircraft in the RAF Inventory.  I often think of a nice collection in this scale.  Plenty of scope with the famous V-Bomber trio plus Nimrod, Voyager, Air Seeker ( Rivet Joint.) Sentinel, a really good E-3A Sentry.  A decent Hercules followed by the new Atlas would be good, and a new Posiedon MR1.  For a decent collection of these aircraft, 1/144th is a really good sacle.

c-130h or c-130j 

More 1/24 planes maybe ME262 ; RAF SE5a.

Merit international already produce a 1/24 RAF SE5a, but, I like your thinking Rich! 😎

Personally I would love to see some of the key items from the 1/24 range from the 70's re-tooled to Tiffy standard: Spitfire (Mk's 1 and 5 and add a 9 too) Hurricane, Mustang, ME109, and Fw190... 😉 The Stuka, is still an outstanding kit so is fine as is, the Harrier may not justify re-tooling depending on sales....

PS. I still think Airfix will pull something out of the 1/24 hat for Spitfire's 80th birthday in 2018. IE a new tool Spit 😮

In 1/72...

WWI

• Sopwith Camel
  • RAF SE5a
  • Fokker DR 1

WWII

• Supermarine Walrus
  • P47D Thunderbolt
  • ME262

In 1/350

HMS Queen Elizabeth R08/HMS Prince of Wales R09

would also like to see a Hawker Sea Fury and Tempest II both in 1/72! 😎

An up to date Barracuda, Battle or Comet Racer would be fine. Items to dream about - a new 'Battle of Britain' or 'Merchant Navy'-class or even better a SR Q1-class in 1/72 scale, some of the american freight cars of WWII in the same scale. Some 'Cannonball'-trucks will be fine too.

• 2 weeks later...

Classic British aircraft, where there are holes in the 1/48th scale market...

Tempest: The AMT kit is an old, dead loss. The Eduard kit is flawed and now hard to find. Imagine a good Tempest kit with options for MkII engine and MkVI wings. A fabulous kit that would become the go-to Tempest on the market.

Spitfire: Not another one! But the Mk XIV/XVIII is poorly served. The Academy Mk XIV kit is poorly dimensioned and there are no Mk XVIII kits - and finding a resin rudder to convert one is difficult. So a nice Mk XIVe/XVIII kit with plenty of decal options - post war, Palestine etc, with a larger rudder option would be fabulous. Or even a high-back XIVc based on the lovely MkXIX kit would be good.

Hawker Hunter: Hard to find the Italeri/Academy kit - but it too has issues. Having just released a fine kit of the Meteor, how about a good Hunter with plenty of options for different versions - a pointed nose for WB188, or even a twin seat nose option like that provided on the old 1/72 Matchbox kit?

Between the wars biplanes are not easy to find either. You've re-released the Hawker Fury a few times so it must sell ok, and I have two to build in the stash. But it's an old kit now. So how about a Siskin, Bulldog, Grebe and Gamecock plus an updated new Fury or a Hind, Hart, Demon or Audax?

Archived