SWishlists - 2020

Kiwicat.

1 post

Probably more for 2020 now but, I'd love to see new tools of;

1/72 CAC Boomerang.

1/72 Brewster Buffalo.

1/72 Skyhawk.

1/72 Venom, both single and twin seat variants.

1/72 PYB Catalina.

1/72 Empire flying boat.

StuartN

57 posts

Finally, someone agrees with me that we need a CAC Boomerang.

Its never too soon for an Airfix wishlist! Tongue Out

Actually Airfix are slowly but surely whittling down my wishlist. I am fortunate that they seem to release something from it each year. Perhaps they study this forum Smile or I guess I must fall somewhere in their target market...

Here goes (my wishlist, not predictions, 2020 - but some will hopefully happen...)

1/72:

• Vulcan B2
  • Canberra B2/B6
  • Javelin FAW9
  • HP Hastings C1/C2/T5
  • Bristol Belvedere HC1
  • Hercules C1 

1/48:

• Apache AH1
  • Typhoon FGR4
  • Meteor NF11/12/13
  • Harrier GR9

Airfix only produced a new tool 1/72 Skyhawk (A-4B/P) in 2012; which I recall it was well recieved at the time. In case you missed it, it's on the list for re-release in 2019 (new markings). Although I think the original should still be available.

Paws4thot

1218 posts

@Richard Graham

Airfix only produced a new tool 1/72 Skyhawk (A-4B/P) in 2012; which I recall it was well recieved at the time. In case you missed it, it's on the list for re-release in 2019 (new markings). Although I think the original should still be available.

Sure, but it can only build as A-4B, C, P or Q; There's no chance of getting, say, an A-4E/F from it (different forward fuselage and intakes).

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

Peter s

40 posts

@Paws4thot

Sure, but it can only build as A-4B, C, P or Q; There's no chance of getting, say, an A-4E/F from it (different forward fuselage and intakes).

Not a bad point. I've got some bullpups in my stash which are wrong for the current model. John McCain s aircraft would be a good decal option.

Airfix are great at British subjects no one else does.

I'd love a 1/72 Beaufort. New tool Canberra and Vulcan would fit the range perfectly. New tool meteor (early and late night fighter) and gloster javelin could be good too. I really date the new tool sea kings. How about a Chinook? 

LeonF

71 posts

@Paws4thot

You can't make a C as it would require a reprofiled nose for the AN/APG-53A. Thus you are stuck with B, P & Q only. It's a pity the radome wasn't a seperate piece as it could have given a reasonable result and opened up more colour schemes. 

It also takes a huge amount of work to backdate to an A should anyone be mad enough to try, sadly rather more than the 'simple' job of filling in the rudder and removing the refuelling probe (I have one on my bench slowing undertaking that horrid journey!). Even an accurate B needs work - notably the odd panels on the side of the nose that don't exist in real life.

Would love to see more 1/72 Skyhawk variants as the Fujimi kits are rather rare in many quarters nowadays, but I doubt it will ever happen especially since the type is all but retired and out of the public eye nowadays  

Paws4thot

1218 posts

@LeonF

You can't make a C as it would require a reprofiled nose for the AN/APG-53A. Thus you are stuck with B, P & Q only. It's a pity the radome wasn't a seperate piece as it could have given a reasonable result and opened up more colour schemes. 

It also takes a huge amount of work to backdate to an A should anyone be mad enough to try, sadly rather more than the 'simple' job of filling in the rudder and removing the refuelling probe (I have one on my bench slowing undertaking that horrid journey!). Even an accurate B needs work - notably the odd panels on the side of the nose that don't exist in real life.

Would love to see more 1/72 Skyhawk variants as the Fujimi kits are rather rare in many quarters nowadays, but I doubt it will ever happen especially since the type is all but retired and out of the public eye nowadays  

OK cheers. If you can't get a C from the current Airfix too, that actually suggests that you can't get a Q either. I think the base point that other than the Argentinian redesignations you can't get most single seat variants or anything later than a C from the single Airfix tool still stands?

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

LeonF

71 posts

Both the A-4P and A-4Q were short nose B variants and can be made from the Airfix kit, at least in the early service years that most will be modelled as (ie Falklands War era). Unfortunately you can't say the same about the Singapore A-4S which were also modified B's but with an extended nose. 

The way Airfix moulded the kit pretty with the fixed nose and rudder means new fuselage halves are need for anything else. Perhaps some lobbying would bring at least an E variant. 

LeonF

71 posts

I think a new 1/72 Vulcan is odds on judging by reports of various surviving airframes being measured over the last couple of years, especially ones part stripped allowing access to early features hidden or removed by lster mods. It needs doing before another firm cashes in. 

Sadly I think a Boomerang (and Wirraway) are too exotic during these lean financial times, and however much I would also like new O-1 and O-2s I can't see it happening. Also revised 1/72 Blenheims with new upper wings correcting the biggest error...unlikely but can hope. 

So what about other plausible ideas? 

1/72 Spitfire 24 and Seafire 47. Oddly missing as they represent the last of the direct lineage. The Spit could be modified from the 22 mould with a new lower wing, but the 47 would be all new.

1/72 Single seat Vampire, or even a NF variant. Special Hobby have the field almost to themselves atm and a new mainstream kit is needed. So many variations and colour schemes to choose from could mean many reboxes over many years. 

1/72 Meteor. Surprisingly rare in the scale with most being old, hard to find, or not widely available. Special Hobby NF variants are still fairly new so I would expect either a F8 or T7 for maximum early sales. 

1/72 P/F-80. Surely a no brainer especially for the US market. Throw in a T-33 at some point too and you have oodles of operators and colours. Sadly I feel the ancient mould may get a Vintage Classic release instead which would be a real lost opportunity. 

1/72 Hampden. The missing early war twin. With an example being restored I doubt the designers haven't had their measuring sticks out on more than one occasion. My Crystal Ball insists on seeing a Russian Torpedo Bomber...

1/72 T-6 Texan. Another widely known, widely flown type. Could Airfix get rights to the Academy tool? Or would they go on their own? A carefully designed new mould would open up more variants than the T-6G that dominates...a proper Commonwealth Harvard perhaps? 

Whatever they go for I hope for some more smaller subjects as there's been mere pickings for the shelf space limited modeller in recent years, a potty as the first half of the Hornby era garnered a fair few little uns. 

I'm sure I could think of more, and I haven't even touch other scales or non-aviation subjects yet. Maybe later...

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product