Gloster Meteor F8, Korean War 1:48
c Available to Pre-order now Don't miss out! Pre-order today and be amongst the first to receive this item.Pre-order FAQ's
- What is a Pre-Order? It is possible to secure some items before they come into stock by pre-ordering on the website. This is especially useful when a product is anticipated to be popular, and could sell out in a short time once released.
- When will my Pre-Order arrive? The product listing gives an estimated arrival time for the product. We will contact you by email if this changes significantly. When stock arrives, pre-orders are despatched in the order that they were placed. You can keep track of your pre-orders by logging into My Orders.
- When will I be charged? Your card will only be charged once your pre-order has been despatched.
- Are my card details safe? Yes – we use an external, secure payment system, Braintree (part of PayPal) to store and handle your card details.
- Can I cancel my Pre-Order? Yes – you can cancel a pre-order before it has been despatched. Log into My Orders, or contact our Customer Care team with your pre-order number on 1.877.358.6405 or CustomerSupport@hornby.us
- Can I pay by PayPal for a Pre-Order? At present pre-orders can only be made using a credit or debit card.
- How many items can I Pre-Order? There is no limit to the number of pre-orders that you can place. However, for some products there may be a limit on the number of units that can be pre-ordered. This will be clearly marked on the product listing.
- Why is more than one delivery charge showing in my basket? Pre-order items will be despatched as soon as they come into stock. If you have different pre-order items in your basket, or a mixture of pre-order and in stock items these will each show a separate delivery charge if applicable.
- What happens if my registered card expires before my item comes into stock? If your card expires, we will send you an email asking you to log into your account and update your card details.
- What if I decide to pay with a different card after I place my Pre-Order? You can change the registered card for each pre-order by visiting My Orders.
- Will you definitely have the stock to fulfil my Pre-Order? Yes – unlike some websites, which take Pre-Orders without securing stock in advance, we guarantee that we have secured stock levels for our Pre-Orders. In the unlikely event that we cannot honour your Pre-Order (except when a product is completely withdrawn before release) we will give you a $10 gift voucher to spend on the Hornby website.
- Can I make a Pre-Order by post or telephone? At this time we can only take pre-orders via the website.
- Can I use a Club or discount code on Pre-Orders? Yes you can.
FREE delivery when you spend over $50
$4.00 for all orders under $50.00
We ship via USPS, UPS and FedEx depending on parcel contents
The Gloster Meteor F.8 was a greatly improved version of Britain’s first operational jet fighter and arguably the definitive version of this classic aircraft. Seeing extensive service during the Korean War with No.77 Squadron of Royal Australian Air Force, the Meteor would be engaged in combat with the new Soviet produced MiG 15 jet fighter, which proved to be an extremely capable adversary.
The Gloster Meteor maintains a significant position in the history of the Royal Air Force, as it became Britain’s first operational jet aircraft. Not willing to risk this technology falling into the hands of the Germans, initial operations were confined to UK airspace, particularly in combatting the V-1 Doodlebug threat. Indeed, once Meteors were deployed to Europe in the latter stages of WWII, they were still forbidden to engage in combat with the Messerschmitt Me 262, so we will never know how these significant aircraft would have performed against each other.
In operation, the Meteor proved to be a delightful aircraft to fly and enabled pilots to make a relatively easy transition from piston engined aircraft to jet powered flight. Unlike the Messerschmitt Me 262, the Meteor also proved to be almost as reliable as the Spitfires and Tempests it was intended to replace and was even capable of being operated from relatively basic grass airstrips. Continually developed throughout its service life, the Gloster Meteor would remain in RAF service for many years, with a handful of target towing aircraft still operating in the 1980s.
Scheme A - Meteor F8 A77-851 flown Sergeant George Spaulding Hale, No.77 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force, Kimpo, Korea, March 1953
Scheme B - Meteor F8 Aircraft A77-854, No.77 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force, Kimpo, Korea, 1953.
Scheme C - Meteor F8 No.327 Squadron, Ruiten Vier” (Diamonds Four) display team, Koninklijke Luchtmacht (Royal Netherlands Air Force), Commando Lucht Verdediging (Air Defense Command), Soesterberg Air Base, The Netherlands, 1952.
BAE SYSTEMS is a registered trade mark of BAE Systems plc.
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Technical Specification & Detail
|Number of Parts||190|
|Dimensions (mm)||L287 x W236|
Paintwork & Finish
Humbrol Enamel paints for the kit's primary decal scheme.