Boeing Fortress MK.III 1:72
FREE delivery when you spend over $50
$4.00 for all orders under $50.00
We ship via USPS, UPS and FedEx depending on parcel contents
In RAF service, the definitive Boeing B-17G was known as the Fortress III, with 85 aircraft being supplied to the British. Operating mainly in the bomber support role, these aircraft would conduct anti-radar and clandestine operations, designed to confuse and frustrate German nightfighters, allowing more Allied bombers to return unscathed from their latest raid.
The Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress four engine bomber was an airborne manifestation of American military might in the Second World War. Operating in massed formations, these distinctive aircraft were designed to conduct daylight precision bombing missions, against strategic enemy targets, with the ultimate aim of literally pounding them into submission. As its name suggests, the Flying Fortress was bristling with defensive armament and it was intended that formations of B-17s could throw so much lead into the air, that any attacking enemy aircraft would either be shot down, or simply fly away from their certain demise – although this thinking did not actually materialise in combat, it did help to give the B-17 a fearsome reputation.
The B-17 also saw service with the Royal Air Force during WWII, mainly operating anti-submarine patrols with Coastal Command, but also in a much more covert role. The Fortress Mk.III aircraft of No.100 Group Bomber Command would fly anti-radar and bomber support missions, designed to confuse and disrupt German night defences and allow Allied bombers a greater chance of returning safely from their latest mission. Flying towards decoy targets and dropping paper strips coated in aluminium known as ‘window’ to interfere with German radar, these RAF Fortress Mk.III bombers attempted blind the Luftwaffe nighfighter force and dramatically reduce its ability to intercept Allied bombers.
Produced under licensed. Boeing, Douglas, McDonnell Douglas, North American Aviation, A-4 Skyhawk, AH-64, Apache Longbow, B-17 Flying Fortress, B-25 Mitchell, C-47, DC-3, F-4 Phantom, P-51 Mustang their distinctive logos, product markings, and trade dress are all trademarks of The Boeing Company.
WARNING Not suitable for children under 36 months. It contains small parts which can present a choking hazard. Please retain these details and the address for future reference. CAUTION Please remove all packaging before giving the toy to a child.
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Technical Specification & Detail
|Number of Parts||265|
|Dimensions (mm)||L318 x W437|
Product Questions & Answers Sign in or register to ask a question
Do you have a question about this product that other customers may be able to answer? Simply log in to the website and ask - other customers can then offer their help and answers.
Questions submitted should be aimed at other collectors, especially those that have previously purchased the model. The Q&A feature is not designed for contacting Customer Care or addressing Hornby Hobbies directly. If you do have a question for us, please do still contact us but use the Contact Us page instead.
Submissions that violate these rules (and the Guidelines) will be declined.
Please read the questions & answers guidelines before asking or answering a question.
- Once submitted, questions and answers should appear on the website within 72 hours, however, we will endeavour to approve both questions and answers as soon as possible.
- Please keep questions relevant and related to the product you’re asking it on. General questions can be asked on our Forum or sent straight to Customer Services
- Remember to keep questions and answers short and concise. Longer questions and answers are less likely to be read.
- Be sure to vote on answers you find either helpful or unhelpful. These votes are vital to getting the most helpful answers to other collectors.
- Please refrain from asking questions involving other manufacturers. For example, asking if something is better or worse than a competitor’s product is not permitted.
- Do not include personal information (email addresses or telephone numbers) in any question or answer.
- Any questions or answers that contain profanities, distasteful language or promotional material will not be approved. This also applies to Nicknames.
Ask A Question
Answer This Question
Paintwork & Finish
Humbrol Enamel paints for the kit's primary decal scheme.