Boulton Paul Defiant NF.1 1:48
FREE delivery when you spend over $50
$4.00 for all orders under $50.00
We ship via USPS, UPS and FedEx depending on parcel contents
Quickly outclassed as a day fighter during the Battle of Britain, the Boulton Paul Defiant would be tasked with protecting Britain from night bombing raids by the Luftwaffe. Not trained to fight at night, Defiant crews would have to develop interception techniques as they fought, but found the aircraft much more suited to this nocturnal fighting environment.
After enjoying initial successes against Luftwaffe pilots unfamiliar with Britain’s turret fighter, Defiant crews soon discovered the limitations of their aircraft. The significant additional weight of the gun turret, combined with a relatively poor arc of defensive fire meant that German Messerschmitts soon learned how to attack these unusual aircraft. As combat losses began to mount, RAF Defiants were relegated to night fighting duties, where the aircraft would be much less vulnerable and could make better use of its offensive firepower.
As the night Blitz against London raged, Defiant crews would have to develop their own interception techniques, as many were not trained in this type of fighting. They learned quickly and soon began to score victories against the Luftwaffe raiders, helping to establish a cohesive night defence system and rebuilding the reputation of the Defiant. These all black nocturnal hunters became some of the most distinctive RAF aircraft of the Second World War.
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
The Boulton Paul Defiant turret fighter has to be considered amongst the most interesting aircraft of the Second World War, even if it is not regarded as one of the most effective. Heavy losses forced its withdrawn from service as a day fighter, but the Defiant would prove much more effective in helping to establish a cohesive nightfighter defence for Britain, as the Luftwaffe began to pound Britain’s cities under the cover of darkness.
Technical Specification & Detail
|Number of Parts||158|
|Dimensions (mm)||L225 x W250|
Product Questions & Answers Sign in or register to ask a question
Do you have a question about this product that other customers may be able to answer? Simply log in to the website and ask - other customers can then offer their help and answers.
Questions submitted should be aimed at other collectors, especially those that have previously purchased the model. The Q&A feature is not designed for contacting Customer Care or addressing Hornby Hobbies directly. If you do have a question for us, please do still contact us but use the Contact Us page instead.
Submissions that violate these rules (and the Guidelines) will be declined.
Please read the questions & answers guidelines before asking or answering a question.
- Once submitted, questions and answers should appear on the website within 72 hours, however, we will endeavour to approve both questions and answers as soon as possible.
- Please keep questions relevant and related to the product you’re asking it on. General questions can be asked on our Forum or sent straight to Customer Services
- Remember to keep questions and answers short and concise. Longer questions and answers are less likely to be read.
- Be sure to vote on answers you find either helpful or unhelpful. These votes are vital to getting the most helpful answers to other collectors.
- Please refrain from asking questions involving other manufacturers. For example, asking if something is better or worse than a competitor’s product is not permitted.
- Do not include personal information (email addresses or telephone numbers) in any question or answer.
- Any questions or answers that contain profanities, distasteful language or promotional material will not be approved. This also applies to Nicknames.
Ask A Question
Answer This Question
Top Marks for Another Superb Defiant
Where to begin? The kit is beautifully moulded, the instructions clear and the decals are stunning. The Defiant went together very easily, with only minor fettling (and filling) needed. It build's very quickly into a very impressive aircraft, with various options for the turret and canopy. Top marks for another superb Defiant Airfix - now where's the 1/24th version?
Sorry, you can not vote for this review. Please log in
Paintwork & Finish
Humbrol Enamel paints for the kit's primary decal scheme.