Boulton Paul Defiant NF.1 1:48
c Available to Pre-order now Don't miss out! Pre-order today and be amongst the first to receive this item.Pre-order FAQ's
- What is a Pre-Order? It is possible to secure some items before they come into stock by pre-ordering on the website. This is especially useful when a product is anticipated to be popular, and could sell out in a short time once released.
- When will my Pre-Order arrive? The product listing gives an estimated arrival time for the product. We will contact you by email if this changes significantly. When stock arrives, pre-orders are despatched in the order that they were placed. You can keep track of your pre-orders by logging into My Orders.
- When will I be charged? Your card will only be charged once your pre-order has been despatched.
- Are my card details safe? Yes – we use an external, secure payment system, Braintree (part of PayPal) to store and handle your card details.
- Can I cancel my Pre-Order? Yes – you can cancel a pre-order before it has been despatched. Log into My Orders, or contact our Customer Care team with your pre-order number on 1.877.358.6405 or CustomerSupport@hornby.us
- Can I pay by PayPal for a Pre-Order? At present pre-orders can only be made using a credit or debit card.
- How many items can I Pre-Order? There is no limit to the number of pre-orders that you can place. However, for some products there may be a limit on the number of units that can be pre-ordered. This will be clearly marked on the product listing.
- Why is more than one delivery charge showing in my basket? Pre-order items will be despatched as soon as they come into stock. If you have different pre-order items in your basket, or a mixture of pre-order and in stock items these will each show a separate delivery charge if applicable.
- What happens if my registered card expires before my item comes into stock? If your card expires, we will send you an email asking you to log into your account and update your card details.
- What if I decide to pay with a different card after I place my Pre-Order? You can change the registered card for each pre-order by visiting My Orders.
- Will you definitely have the stock to fulfil my Pre-Order? Yes – unlike some websites, which take Pre-Orders without securing stock in advance, we guarantee that we have secured stock levels for our Pre-Orders. In the unlikely event that we cannot honour your Pre-Order (except when a product is completely withdrawn before release) we will give you a $10 gift voucher to spend on the Hornby website.
- Can I make a Pre-Order by post or telephone? At this time we can only take pre-orders via the website.
- Can I use a Club or discount code on Pre-Orders? Yes you can.
FREE delivery when you spend over $50
$4.00 for all orders under $50.00
We ship via USPS, UPS and FedEx depending on parcel contents
Quickly outclassed as a day fighter during the Battle of Britain, the Boulton Paul Defiant would be tasked with protecting Britain from night bombing raids by the Luftwaffe. Not trained to fight at night, Defiant crews would have to develop interception techniques as they fought, but found the aircraft much more suited to this nocturnal fighting environment.
After enjoying initial successes against Luftwaffe pilots unfamiliar with Britain’s turret fighter, Defiant crews soon discovered the limitations of their aircraft. The significant additional weight of the gun turret, combined with a relatively poor arc of defensive fire meant that German Messerschmitts soon learned how to attack these unusual aircraft. As combat losses began to mount, RAF Defiants were relegated to night fighting duties, where the aircraft would be much less vulnerable and could make better use of its offensive firepower.
As the night Blitz against London raged, Defiant crews would have to develop their own interception techniques, as many were not trained in this type of fighting. They learned quickly and soon began to score victories against the Luftwaffe raiders, helping to establish a cohesive night defence system and rebuilding the reputation of the Defiant. These all black nocturnal hunters became some of the most distinctive RAF aircraft of the Second World War.
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
The Boulton Paul Defiant turret fighter has to be considered amongst the most interesting aircraft of the Second World War, even if it is not regarded as one of the most effective. Heavy losses forced its withdrawn from service as a day fighter, but the Defiant would prove much more effective in helping to establish a cohesive nightfighter defence for Britain, as the Luftwaffe began to pound Britain’s cities under the cover of darkness.
Technical Specification & Detail
|Number of Parts||158|
|Dimensions (mm)||L225 x W250|
Paintwork & Finish
Humbrol Enamel paints for the kit's primary decal scheme.