Eighth Air Force: Boeing B-17G™ & Bomber Re-supply Set 1:72
FREE delivery when you spend over $50
$4.00 for all orders under $50.00
We ship via USPS, UPS and FedEx depending on parcel contents
- BOEING (DOUGLAS BUILT) B-17G-35-DL FLYING FORTRESS™ Length 320mm Width 438mm
- CUSHMAN MODEL 39 PACKAGE CAR Length 34mm Width 17mm
- CHEVROLET® M6 BOMB SERVICE TRUCK Length 74mm Width 25mm
- M5 BOMB TRAILER Length 77mm Width 33mm
- AUTOCAR U-7144-T 4X4 TRACTOR UNIT Length 72mm Width 33mm
- F-1 FUEL TRAILER Length 129mm Width 36mm
The United States Army Air Force (USAAF) Eighth Air Force was created during World War II to support the Allied invasion of German occupied Europe by flying day-time strategic bombing missions from bases in Eastern England.
By late 1944 the Eighth Air Force’s air war over occupied Europe was at its height. Everyday hundreds of Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress and Consolidated B-24 Liberator bombers would head over German held territory, braving flak, German fighters and the weather to deliver bombs onto targets.
Damage to returning aircraft was commonplace which often led to the cannibalisation of badly damaged airframes to keep others flying. The silver port wing on the B-17G depicted in this kit is an example of this practice and it is a testament to the skill and hard work of the ground crews that so many aircraft were kept serviceable in this way.
Also included in this set are some of the ground vehicles vital to the refuelling and rearming of the bombers:
Autocar U-7144-T 4X4 tractor unit and F-1 fuel trailer. The U-7144-T was used extensively by the US military from 1942 onwards and was certainly found on most, if not all USAAF airfields in Britain, particularly in conjunction with the standard F-1 fuel trailer.
Chevrolet ® M6 bomb service truck and M5 bomb trailer. This utility 4X4 truck was capable of carrying a small number of bombs in its own right, but was more commonly used in conjunction with the M5 bomb trailer.
Cushman Model 39 Package Car. This light, three wheeled utility vehicle was used for a multitude of light duties on USAAF bases.
Produced under licensed. Boeing, Douglas, McDonnell Douglas, North American Aviation, A-4 Skyhawk, AH-64, Apache Longbow, B-17 Flying Fortress, B-25 Mitchell, C-47, DC-3, F-4 Phantom, P-51 Mustang their distinctive logos, product markings, and trade dress are all trademarks of The Boeing Company.
GM General Motors Trademarks used under license to Hornby Hobbies Ltd.
WARNING Not suitable for children under 36 months. It contains small parts which can present a choking hazard. Please retain these details and the address for future reference. CAUTION Please remove all packaging before giving the toy to a child.
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Technical Specification & Detail
|Number of Parts||449|
Product Questions & Answers Sign in or register to ask a question
Do you have a question about this product that other customers may be able to answer? Simply log in to the website and ask - other customers can then offer their help and answers.
Questions submitted should be aimed at other collectors, especially those that have previously purchased the model. The Q&A feature is not designed for contacting Customer Care or addressing Hornby Hobbies directly. If you do have a question for us, please do still contact us but use the Contact Us page instead.
Submissions that violate these rules (and the Guidelines) will be declined.
Please read the questions & answers guidelines before asking or answering a question.
- Once submitted, questions and answers should appear on the website within 72 hours, however, we will endeavour to approve both questions and answers as soon as possible.
- Please keep questions relevant and related to the product you’re asking it on. General questions can be asked on our Forum or sent straight to Customer Services
- Remember to keep questions and answers short and concise. Longer questions and answers are less likely to be read.
- Be sure to vote on answers you find either helpful or unhelpful. These votes are vital to getting the most helpful answers to other collectors.
- Please refrain from asking questions involving other manufacturers. For example, asking if something is better or worse than a competitor’s product is not permitted.
- Do not include personal information (email addresses or telephone numbers) in any question or answer.
- Any questions or answers that contain profanities, distasteful language or promotional material will not be approved. This also applies to Nicknames.
Ask A Question
Answer This Question
Paintwork & Finish
Humbrol Enamel paints for the kit's primary decal scheme.