Supermarine Walrus Mk.I 1:48
FREE delivery when you spend over $50
$4.00 for all orders under $50.00
We ship via USPS, UPS and FedEx depending on parcel contents
It would be difficult to think of an aircraft design so markedly different to the sleek and elegant Spitfire, but the Supermarine Walrus amphibious biplane was from the hand of the same designer. Despite its somewhat ungainly appearance, the Walrus proved to be an incredibly effective aircraft and flexible enough to take on a number of roles in some of the most demanding operating environments.
Coming at the end of a long line of capable single-engined flying boats and amphibians, the Walrus was actually the product of a Royal Australian Air Force requirement for an updated and more robust version of their existing Supermarine amphibian, the Seagull III, which had proved so successful. The new aircraft, which would become known as the Seagull V, would need to have the capability to be catapult launched from Royal Australian Navy cruisers, so the wooden hull of the earlier version was replaced with a strong metal design, with additional stainless steel forgings for the catapult spools and mountings
BAE SYSTEMS is a registered trade mark of BAE Systems plc.
WARNING Not suitable for children under 36 months. It contains small parts which can present a choking hazard. Please retain these details and the address for future reference. CAUTION Please remove all packaging before giving the toy to a child.
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
The Supermarine Walrus would probably not be the first aircraft name to come to mind when thinking of machines which were operational during WWII, however many rescued downed Allied airmen would undoubtedly describe it as amongst their favourites.
Its inherent strength allowed it to be catapult launched from the decks of larger warships, before being winched back aboard following the completion of its mission. Without question, the Supermarine Walrus was one of the more interesting Allied aircraft of WWII and this new 1/48th scale Airfix kit will surely help it win many more admirers.
Technical Specification & Detail
|Number of Parts||156|
|Dimensions (mm)||L238 x W292|
Product Questions & Answers Sign in or register to ask a question
Do you have a question about this product that other customers may be able to answer? Simply log in to the website and ask - other customers can then offer their help and answers.
Questions submitted should be aimed at other collectors, especially those that have previously purchased the model. The Q&A feature is not designed for contacting Customer Care or addressing Hornby Hobbies directly. If you do have a question for us, please do still contact us but use the Contact Us page instead.
Submissions that violate these rules (and the Guidelines) will be declined.
Please read the questions & answers guidelines before asking or answering a question.
- Once submitted, questions and answers should appear on the website within 72 hours, however, we will endeavour to approve both questions and answers as soon as possible.
- Please keep questions relevant and related to the product you’re asking it on. General questions can be asked on our Forum or sent straight to Customer Services
- Remember to keep questions and answers short and concise. Longer questions and answers are less likely to be read.
- Be sure to vote on answers you find either helpful or unhelpful. These votes are vital to getting the most helpful answers to other collectors.
- Please refrain from asking questions involving other manufacturers. For example, asking if something is better or worse than a competitor’s product is not permitted.
- Do not include personal information (email addresses or telephone numbers) in any question or answer.
- Any questions or answers that contain profanities, distasteful language or promotional material will not be approved. This also applies to Nicknames.
Ask A Question
Answer This Question
What great kit!!!
This kit is a pure pleasure to build, so much so I am going to get another one and build with the wings folded. Detail is great and the assembly of the wings and floats is so easy thanks to the design and tool engineering around the engine assembly. Well done Airfix.
Sorry, you can not vote for this review. Please log in
Paintwork & Finish
Humbrol Enamel paints for the kit's primary decal scheme.